Friday, January 12, 2007

Method to my Madness

I plan on using diet and exercise to achieve my goals.

Diet:

By far the most difficult for me. I am a big time junk food junkie, gotta have my cake, chocolate peanut butter and anything that is sweet! There are many things that need to be cut out of my diet but pop is the worst. I drink pop with just about every meal even though it gives me hiccups and causes me asperiate my food. I want to get my calorie intake down to around 2000 - 2200 calories.

Exercise:

I belong to a gym that has basically everything that I could ever want or need. I have available to me cardio classes, lap pool, free and machine weights, treadmills, stair steppers, bikes, etc. I plan on doing alot of cardio and some weight training to help with the weight loss.

My idea of cardio during the winter months will involve many laps in the swimming pool. Lap swimming will include many kicks using a kickboard, pulls using a pull bouy, and just plain old lap swimming. Treadmill work for running. Bike riding is rather difficult while its snowing so I am going to use the incumbent bikes and a spin class to help increase the heart rate.

Some weight training is just going to be used but nothing to heavy. I'm not trying to win a weight lifting contest but I am trying to dump weight.

3 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Sounds like a good plan. The basic components are a healthy diet and consistant exercise. It's really that easy.

A few of us found that it works the best when you track your progress. Keep track of your weight, keep track of your food (I don't do this one but some swear by it), and even take measurements and pictures of yourself.

Motivation is key. Good luck in this, we're around.

Whyves said...

Welcome to the F.A.T. coalition Mark!

I think that you should review your approach to weight training. It’s a key concept in a sound weight loss program. Read Billy’s Blog and also the comments in Becky`s Blog.

As for tracking you calories, it is a good idea as Rob mentioned. You can buy a piece of software to do it or use a free tool on some website. Go to http://www.fitday.com/ for a good one.

Anonymous said...

Welcome aboard, Mark! There's lots of great advice here and you'll find this group to be very encouraging. Sounds like you've got a good plan in place. Just stick with it and your gut will 'b' gone in no time. (Yeah, that was cheesy, I know.) :)