Friday, October 12, 2007

Snack Machine Binge

One of my biggest obstacles with attempting to loose weight are cravings caused by stress mainly while I am at work. At home my wife and I have a pretty good grasp at what I eat, within reason.

The stress caused craving for me can be devastating. One of my triggers for having the Snack Machine binge is stress at work. I'm not talking about someone being late for work or somebody getting mad at me. I'm talking big stress. For those that don't know I am a communications supervisor in a 911 Center. Here is an example that caused a snack machine binge, all of this occurred in 10 hours. So the other day we had a 3 car accident that involved us closing an intersection at one of the busiest times of the day, lunch hour, that accident ended up being a fatal accident. No one wants to have to deal with that on any day. About 2 hours later there was a chase that started in another city but when they reached our city limits, they terminated and so our officers picked up the car and made the traffic stop including the arrest. While the accident and chase were going on another department requested help with a disturbance that their officers were having difficulties controlling since they are close to us we had to send officers. Now most if not all my officers are busy on the accident and chase. I normally have about 10 to 15 police officers to dispatch on a given day, for most of the day I only had 2 or 3 officers available. It seemed like one would clear and another would be busy.

This busy of day normally doesn't happen, we might get one of these incidents a day or a week usually not 3 incidents like this in one day. For the day I drank 2 20oz Diet Cokes and a caffeine free Diet Pepsi, chocolate zingers, milky way and my lunch.

1 comment:

Rob Tucker said...

Damn - that beats my "I have to get these advertisements done before deadline" stress. Your job makes a difference though, so take some pride in that.

As for the binging, try bringing snacks with you to have at your desk - if you get into one of those binges, you can make healthier choices.

Don't beat yourself up - it's only one day - but learn from it.