Monday, February 5, 2007

Restructing of Plan

Its time to rethink my plan. Even though I am losing weight my plan isnt working out the way I want it to. In the last month the weight loss should be more than a pound or 2. Its been 5 weeks and I should be down at least 10 to 15 lbs if not more.

My exercise is on point but seems to be rather scattered. Scattered I mean, the days aren't set, I workout basically when I can and it seems I don't get quality workouts. Cardio is done every time I workout but my weight training is one day here and then again 4 days later. I would like to have more consistent workouts, almost a set schedule. Kind of like this:

Monday: Workout - Weights and Cardio
Tuesday: Workout - Cardio
Wednesday: Workout - Weights and Cardio
Thursday: Workout - Cardio
Friday: Workout/Rest - Optional workout
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

Eating Habits. My eating style that I am attempting is eating less but the amount of meals has also decreased and it seems that I am overeating at dinner to make up for the calories that I didnt get during the day. What I'm eating isnt working either. I think I am going back to writing down everything I eat and keeping a journal. But I'm not sure if I want to use Fitday only because the only time I get online is late at night. So maybe I will use both, the journal for everyday use and Fitday to log percentages and other essential dietary needs.

The new calorie count will be 2000 calories. Here is what I want to happen: 6 meals instead of 3, smaller meals and better choices, water, more fruits and veggies. Less pop (only drink diet but I want to cut that as well), cut night time snack. Overall I want to eat smarter.

5 comments:

Whyves said...

Hi Mark,

A few notes:

Working out early in the morning (on an empty stomach) ensures that you do your workout and also has the added benefit to burn up to 300% more fat.

I do 2 days weight, 1 day cardio/abs, 2 days weight, 1 day cardio/abs, 1 day rest. So far, it has been working great.

You should actually eat more often and in small quantities. This will increase your metabolism.

Fitday has a PC version. I bought it for $20 and I don't regret it.

2000 Kcal seems low for you. You have to make sure that you eat at least enough to meet you BMR (Baseline Metabolic rate). I you go below the BMR, your body will shutdown to avoid losing too much energy. For example, I should be eating 2300 kcal a day to lose about 2 pounds per week. I'm about the same height as you but I weight 220 lbs. Try this url (http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi). It will help you fiure out these details. Fitday also does it and it's much simpler.

Rob Tucker said...

I like a lot of it, and Yves was 100% correct, so follow what he said in terms of the eating.

This part concerns me:

Its been 5 weeks and I should be down at least 10 to 15 lbs if not more.

You're trying to overshoot yourself. It's a trap that I'm falling into as well. Realistically, you should aim for 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. To expect over 2 pounds a week is setting yourself up for failure. I'm guilty of this as well.

Keep it up. We all know that 'eating right' + 'working out' will equal weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. You're on the right track.

billy said...

Right, but you should have lost more than a pound or 2 over the last 5 weeks.

Eat: 5 or 6 times a day. Try to eat mostly lean protein and vegetables at each meal. Try to limit starchy carbs like bread and pasta to after workouts. For you, probably around 2300-2500 calories sounds right.

Eliminate soda. I drink seltzer water. Lots of water, green tea, take it easy on the booze.

Take a multivitamin, and fish oil supplements.

Workout: Lift weights 3x a week, working different muscle groups each time, with at least a day between weight training.

Cardio: Don't do "typical" endurance cardio. Do high intensity intervals, on the days between your weight workout, and maybe one weekend day.

billy said...

PS

Be aware that Whyves theory of "Burning 300% more fat working out in the morning on an empty stomach" is debatable.

Personally, I don't believe in it, as your body burns muscle more readily than fat in situations where it needs immediate energy and has none available. So, take everything with a grain of salt, do your research, and decide for yourself.

Whyves said...

Billy is right by saying that you should do your own research but I took these facts from the book I'm using as a reference. Here is the paragraph:

"... in the morning your body doesn't have any carbohydrates to burn. In the absence of carbohydrates, your body goes straight to the fat stores (triglycerides) in order to get the energy necessary to do the work. Another good reason to work out in the morning is the fact that at this time growth hormones levels are at thier highest levels ..."

Like Billy, you may not believe in this but at least make you decision based on facts.